[mythtv-users] Problems after upgrading frontend from Mythbuntu 12.04 to 14.04

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 01:50:41 UTC 2015

> Hey Alec - some exciting news! When I changed lircd.conf to include
> /usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput I now get some
> response to button presses in irw. Whoo hoo! (Many many apologies for
> wasting people's time if I was supposed to do this way back in the setup).
>
> So I'm hoping that means we now have step 2 (irw ) working and we're ready
> to go onto step 3 (ircat mythtv). So what do I need to do now?

Just wanted to report that I now have the remote working :) Many, many
thanks to Stephen and Alex who patiently helped me through it. I think the
big Doh! was that I had the wrong include line in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.
Many apologies about that. For reference it should be:

include "/usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput"

Because /dev/input/eventX changes every boot, I've also got a udev rule
that creates a symlink to whatever /dev/input/eventX has been allocated by
the kernel on boot. For posterity my rule is in
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
and looks like this:

# Feature Integration Technology Inc. (Fintek) F71610A or F71612A Consumer
Infrared Receiver/Transceiver (branded as HP)
SUBSYSTEM=="input", KERNEL=="event*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1934",
ATTRS{idProduct}=="5168", SYMLINK+="lirc-hp"

This ensures that there's always a symlink pointing to the right event ID:

$ ls -l /dev/lirc*
crw------- 1 root root 247, 0 Dec  9 12:32 /dev/lirc0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     15 Dec  9 12:32 /dev/lircd -> /run/lirc/lircd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     12 Dec  9 12:32 /dev/lirc-hp -> input/event8

I reference device this in etc/lirc/hardware.conf (instead of
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/event8")

#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)"
REMOTE_MODULES=""
REMOTE_DRIVER="devinput"
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc-hp"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="devinput/lircd.conf.devinput"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

I hope this helps someone else out in future. I think I may also have some
button press repeat issues to resolve but I'm going to try to avoid
pestering anybody over that!

Thanks again to all who helped.