[mythtv-users] [Solved] Raspberry Pi2 Frontend Won't Connect To Database

lists.ahpee lists.ahpee at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 22:25:08 UTC 2015

I was very excited when Lawrence Rust published the instructions to
install a mythtv frontend on the rPi2 and immediately ordered one to
play with. This lead to several days of frustration when the frontend
couldn't connect to the backend database. I am posting the solution here
in case others find themselves in the same situation.

Background:

1. Installed Raspbian Wheezy image from
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2015-05-07/2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy.zip
2. Upgraded installed packages with sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get
dist-upgrade
3. Installed the pre-built frontend archive and dependencies following
Lawrence's instructions here
<http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv_for_rpi.txt>.

Problem:

The frontend could not connect to the database and gave the following
error 'CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:80 (MSqlDatabase) - Unable to init db
connection.'
I double checked the database settings in config.xml and also confirmed
that I could manually connect to the database from the rPi using these
settings. I was totally stumped.

Solution:

In desperation, I finally enlisted the help of my son, Tim, who
suggested running the frontend via strace to see what system calls were
being initiated and this revealed that the frontend was unsuccessfully
searching for libmysqlclient.so.18 which was not present on my system. I
only had libmysqlclient.so.16 installed.

In the end the solution was simply - sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient18

Many thanks to Lawrence for all the work he has put into producing a
fronted for the rPi. It works great.

Greg