[mythtv-users] adding HDMI audio to analog audio setup

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Dec 6 00:47:35 UTC 2015

Now that I have a 2nd monitor working for my kitchen, I'd like to use its built-in speakers. I have Googled myself into confusion though, between ALSA and PulseAudio and their respective configuration files.

Here's my setup:

MythTV 0.27.4 on Fedora 22, nVidia GT520 video with VGA/DVI/HDMI. Onboard Intel analog audio out, split to Monitor1 and a simple stereo receiver. Monitor1 is driven by DVI because that's the only non-VGA cable I had and it works fine for video, with an alog input for audio.

I need to use analog out as the primary output because my old stereo only does analog.

Monitor2 is driven by a 25-foot HDMI cable. It also has an analog input but I figure I shouldn't have to run another line because HDMI does audio.

MythFrontend is using ALSA:Pulse because that's what worked when I set it up.

I use Fluxbox so I have no Gnome or KDE tools, but I do have some pulseaudio utilities like pavucontrol and pacmd. paprefs wanted to install a pile of dependencies that I didn't want to do.

[mythtv at tv ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

[mythtv at tv ~]$ pacmd list-sinks  | grep -e 'name:'  -e 'alsa.device ' -e 'alsa.subdevice '

        name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>
                alsa.subdevice = "0"
                alsa.device = "0"
        name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo-extra1>
                alsa.subdevice = "0"
                alsa.device = "7"

I read through a thread earlier in the year but the suggested config files were on pastebin and have expired.

So do I need a ~mythtv/.asoundrc or a modified /etc/pulse/default.pa?
Has anyone got a similar setup? Can you point me to a specific page somewhere and say that it's the right way to go for what I've got?

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca