[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Fri Dec 4 15:18:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 6:50 AM Peter Bennett (cats22) <cats22 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 12/01/2015 08:58 AM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> > I believe Kodi borrowed from omxplayer which uses a single OpenMAX
> > pipeline from decoder to video renderer which shares buffers and avoids
> > copying.  Myth currently requires the separation of the decoder from the
> > renderer and so causes two video buffer copies - one each for the GPU
> > and CPU.  For a 1920x1080 frame this is a significant burden that causes
> > memory contention.
> >
> > I will investigate ways of integrating the decoder and renderer so that
> > they use a single OpenMAX pipeline.  Unfortunately this is not trivial
> > because of the current assumption that ffmpeg is the only provider of
> > hardware accelerated decoding i.e. VDPAU, VAAPI, DXVA2 etc.
> >

> Lawrence
>
> One thing to bear in mind, in case you are not aware. Kodi has some
> significant audio sync problems when playing the MPG files that mythtv
> produces in my setup. Especially after skipping forward or back, the
> audio sync is sometimes far off. In this regard Mythtv is perfect. So
> maybe that is part of the reason for the mythtv design. I would not want
> to do something that lands up with the audio sync problems of Kodi.
>
> Note that I tested the Kodi audio sync problem with the mythtv plugin
> and also playing the mythtv MPG files as videos in Kodi. Both ways
> exhibit the problem and the author of the kodi mythtv plugin confirms
> that this is a bug with kodi itself, not the plugin.
>
> Peter

Lawrence,

I've decided to build this only for 0.28, since we already have our
packaging setup for Qt 5. However we're back to failing builds again. Any
idea whats causing this?

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/228619903/buildlog_ubuntu-wily-armhf.mythtv_2%3A0.28.0~master.20151203.989baa7-0ubuntu1_BUILDING.txt.gz

--
Thomas Mashos