[mythtv-users] OT: 4K TV. But why (yet)?

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Dec 3 19:13:09 UTC 2015

     1. On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 12:19 -0600, John Marshall wrote:
> On 12/3/2015 12:04 PM, Jim Oltman wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
> > It's also getting hard to find a 1080p set.  I purchased a Sony
> > KDL65W850C 1080p Android TV.  I will not buy another Samsung due to
> > reasons.  The TV has severe backlight vertical banding issues.  The
> > LCD screen really suffers from "Dirty Screen Effect" (DSE).  Yet, this
> > is the _best_ 1080p set that Sony offers this year.  I saved money by
> > purchasing 1080p over 4K, but lost quality.  Ridiculous.
>
> 1080p is becoming like dumb TVs - hard to find and generally lower
> quality than the 4k/smart variants.
>
> My interest in 4k is because I have a combination desktop/Myth TV setup
> in the den.  I want something 40-50" so it works as a TV from a
> distance, but obviously needs higher resolution for desktop usage up
> close.  Fortunately there are a few 40"+ monitors on the market now,
> which look tempting as they don't have smart features I won't use nor
> the "spy on your habits" "feature" like Vizio's.

The big advantage 4K screens have over HD is almost eliminating the
dirty screen & the LCD screen door (mesh) effect.
The 4K screen has the potential to be a better display with HD material.
An HD screen at TV size was never really okay as a computer monitor.
A 4K OLED with DP would be stunning.

The video cards are way behind probably because the hdmi spec delays.
Only the GTX950 & GTX960 decode HEVC 4K & have hdmi2.0 (4K 60p 4:4:4).
The GTX750 (& others?) full h/w decode H264 4K hdmi1.4 only or DP
The GTX650 does partial shader decode H264 4K hdmi1.4 only or DP

Sadly no TVs have display-port.
IMO A computer monitor needs 4:4:4 & 60p.