[mythtv-users] OT: 4K TV. But why (yet)?

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Thu Dec 3 18:53:42 UTC 2015

On 12/3/2015 12:46 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 2015-12-03 12:19 PM, John Marshall wrote:
>>
>> nor the "spy on your habits" "feature" like Vizio's.
>

> And LG
>
> http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/11/smart-tv-from-lg-phones-home-with-users-viewing-habits-usb-file-names/
>

> And Samsung
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/technology/security/samsung-smart-tv-privacy/

Thanks, I had forgotten/missed those but it's probably a given they all
do.  Vizio has the added problem that firmware updates are not manual -
the TV has to be connected to the internet and will at some point
download the update.  I don't know about LG but I think Samsung supports
USB updates, so at least the TV could be forever isolated, but I still
don't like it.  An off-brand dumb monitor shipped from Korea is sounding
more appealing!