[mythtv-users] Sluggish Frontend on 4k TV

Duncan Brown mythtv2 at duncb.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 18:13:03 UTC 2015

On 03/12/2015 17:01, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/03/2015 11:48 AM, Duncan Brown wrote:
>> Bit of a fudge, but I've set it so the gui runs at 1080 and only
>> switches up to 4k during playback
>>
>> that works well enough for now
>
> Are you sure your theme cache is usable/used properly?  Sounds like
> mythfrontend was wasting time scaling images every time it needed
> them.  In $HOME/.mythtv/ should have a themecache and remotecache
> directories, and they must be usable by the user running
> mythfrontend.  Note, too, that it's important you find the right
> .mythtv directory (it may not be in your $HOME or even in a mythtv
> user's $HOME, depending on how your distro configures things).  Look
> for a line in the frontend log that says:
>
> Using configuration directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv
>
> or similar.
>
> If you have properly configured your $HOME/.mythtv to allow the user
> running mythfrontend to write to it, you can simply shut down
> mythfrontend, then:
>
> sudo rm -r .mythtv/{theme,remote,thumb}cache .mythtv/Cache*
>
> and then restart mythfrontend.  When you do, you'll see a message
> about pre-scaling theme images, at which point if those directories
> you deleted are re-created, you should have a valid image cache.
> (Note, too, that some other images will be scaled on the fly--slow the
> first time, then faster after--for things like banners and fanart and
> such).
>
> If that doesn't help, it's likely I/O issues--i.e. like storing a 4k
> image cache on a network-mounted file system or some slow-to-read
> storage system.
>
> Mike

Config directory is the standard /home/mythtv/.mythtv, and the frontend
runs as mythtv so no permission problems there

As for the file system, its xfs running on an SSD, so that shouldn't be
a problem. I deleted the cache and let them all rebuild but moving
around stuff was still fairly painful

It does mainly chug on stuff like video, recording lists, and the CPU
spikes massively

Thanks for the reply

Duncan