[mythtv-users] OT: 4K TV. But why (yet)?

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 18:04:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:

> The selection of 1080p TVs is getting smaller. We are also seeing name brand
> 50inch 4K TVs in the $500-$600 range. These are not high end 4K models, but
> off brand el-cheapo 1080p sets are not much cheaper.
>
> I will be in the market for 60inch TV within the next 12 months. It is hard
> to put money down on an old tech 1080p set when we all know 4K is coming. We
> are unfortunately in a time when future 4K compatibility is not garaunteed
> with any new TV.
>
> -Tom

>From what I've read (and what the article above confirms) the UHD 4K
spec hasn't been finalized.  A "standard" 4K TV set one could purchase
today will not support the finalized UHD specifications ratified in
years to come.  It's a planned move by the TV manufacturers to give
you "4K" now, so they can upcharge a bit.  Then in 2+ years time, "4K
spec ratified!  Better buy this new TV that supports it!".  Planned
obsolescence.

Also, due to the bandwidth that will be required for true UHD 4K
content, don't be surprised if the picture quality of NetFlix doesn't
get better.  Your internet "pipe" probably hasn't increased, so
NetFlix has to force the larger movie through the same small pipe.
That means immense compression and loss of quality.

It's also getting hard to find a 1080p set.  I purchased a Sony
KDL65W850C 1080p Android TV.  I will not buy another Samsung due to
reasons.  The TV has severe backlight vertical banding issues.  The
LCD screen really suffers from "Dirty Screen Effect" (DSE).  Yet, this
is the _best_ 1080p set that Sony offers this year.  I saved money by
purchasing 1080p over 4K, but lost quality.  Ridiculous.