[mythtv-users] Problems after upgrading frontend from Mythbuntu 12.04 to 14.04

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 11:32:48 UTC 2015

On 03/12/15 08:50, Phill Edwards wrote:
>     The second way is to use lirc with the devinput driver. lirc will then
>     read the /dev/input/event/* events and make them available on
>     /var/run/lirc/lircd where mythtv and others reads them.  Using the
>     devinput driver, lirc will be able to deliver the button presses to
>     multiple programs but not to do IR blasting. In this setup you use the
>     devinput lircd.conf file, and /dev/lirc0 is not involved in any way.
>

> Thanks for the info, Alex. I think I'd like to do it this way (which I
> think is also the way Stephen Worthington was doing it). Do you know of
> any tutorials anywhere on how to set it up like this? I've got irw and
> ir-keytables showing button presses but I can't figure out how to put it
> all together to control MythTV. I've tried following Stephen's README
> but I'm stuck :(

Well, if irw shows buttonpresses you are almost there.  The last piece
in the puzzle is lircrc, which maps the irw buttonpresses to
mythth-specific strings.

Since yiu are upgrading, you should already have a lircrc file
available. The next test tool is ircat, which sort of mimics mythtv. Use
it like
   $ ircat -c ~/.lircrc -mythtv

It should emit key strings as defined in the lircrc file.

There could be two possible problems:

    - The lircrc file does not or mythtv does not find it.
    - The button symbols used in lircrc does not match the irw output
(i. e., the lircd.conf file)

HTH

--alec