[mythtv-users] NTSC USB tuners: which ones are out there?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 20:01:40 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 6:47 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
> Reviving a thread that's a few months old and that I started here in March.
> Reason is that one or both of the used HVR-1950's I got are giving me more
> and more problems.

I think I may have mentioned this previously, but the HVR-1950's suffer
to two well known issues.  Their POS power brick generates high ripple
and you get "flaky" after a few months/years (I suspect they were cost
optimized designs, which means they are cheap crap), and the devices
themselves run hot, and can become "flaky" (usually they lock up, but
other strangeness happens).  This may be because it is summer, or you
do not have adequate ventilation in the location you have them.  I know
that when I had (about) 5 of them placing one sitting on top of the other
that was a really bad idea for stability.

I believe I ended up replacing every Hauppauge device power supply I
ever had with high(er) quality switching supplies from one of the
usual suspects (usually Delta) which resolved a number of failures
back all those years ago when I was using Hauppauge devices.