[mythtv-users] USB IR Receivers

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Sat Aug 29 15:03:05 UTC 2015

On 8/28/2015 11:32 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 29/08/15 07:23, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>
>> Kirk, try running mode2 and see if any bits are getting through.  If
>> pressing the same button multiple times yields varying results, you may
>> be running into the same issue I did.  14.04 and later kernels do not
>> play well with xHCI and older USB IR receivers which use an older
>> protocol.  Patching the kernel USB driver fixed this for me.
>
> As of 0.9.2 (or earlier) mode2 does not work with this kind (lirccode)
> of driver. So it really makes no sense here (In upcoming 0.9,3 mode2
> supports all kinds of drivers).
>
> The corresponding tool here is ir-keytable(1). It can be used to debug
> the kernel decoding, and that is what's used by the devinput driver.
> If ir-keytable displays the buttonpresses you should be fine (using
> the correct devinput config file). It not, you need to fix the kernel
> side of it. The LIRC devinput driver is just a bridge to the kernel
> decoding.

Fedora 21 comes with 0.9.1. I'm trying to remember where ir-keytable
resides. It's not in the lirc package.
>     Hunting around I saw the suggestion to edit
>     /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf:
>
>     driver          = devinput
>     device          =
>     /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:1:1.0-event-ir

> This is a rather awkward way of doing it. Actually, lircd supports
> wildcard naming for devinput devices since long, see [1].

Perhaps, but it was recommended *and* it works. See the log output from
my previous posts. The by-path and by-id strings seem to be stable.

I made a stab at the 'name=' syntax but wasn't successful. I'll try
again using the devinput page.

>>>     But still no output from irw using an MCE remote. MCE config
>>>     definitely in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.
>
> Which certainly won't work. That file defines how to convert the raw
> timing data found on /devlirc0 to button presses. However, the
> devinput driver uses the decoded data from the kernel as available on
> /dev/input/... and needs to map those events to lirc button presses.
> This is done using the devinput config file, available using 'irdb-get
> download devinput/devinput.lircd.conf'.

Yes, I installed the devinput config. Still no output from irw.

>>> Is this helpful? (Potential conflict with HAL):
>>> <http://lirc.org/html/devinput.html>http://lirc.org/html/devinput.html
>
> No, this documentation is obsolete. HAL is gone since long, obsoleted
> by udev. Fixed in upcoming 0.9.3.

Yes, as I posted, no HAL daemon present.