[mythtv-users] USB IR Receivers

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 06:18:25 UTC 2015

On 29/08/15 06:31, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 8/28/2015 8:27 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com
>> <mailto:t004 at kbocek.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 8/28/2015 2:32 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>>>     Do I need to write a udev rule to create /dev/lirc0 for this device?
>>     Hunting around I saw the suggestion to edit
>>     /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf:
>>
>>     driver          = devinput
>>     device          =
>>     /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:1:1.0-event-ir

This is a rather awkward way of doing it. Actually, lircd supports
wildcard naming for devinput devices since long, see [1].

>>     But still no output from irw using an MCE remote. MCE config
>>     definitely in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.

Which certainly won't work. That file defines how to convert the raw
timing data found on /devlirc0 to button presses. However, the devinput
driver uses the decoded data from the kernel as available on
/dev/input/... and needs to map those events to lirc button presses.
This is done using the devinput config file, available using 'irdb-get
download devinput/devinput.lircd.conf'.

>> Is this helpful? (Potential conflict with HAL):
>> <http://lirc.org/html/devinput.html>http://lirc.org/html/devinput.html

No, this documentation is obsolete. HAL is gone since long, obsoleted by
udev. Fixed in upcoming 0.9.3.

Cheers!

--alec

[1]