[mythtv-users] distributed simultaneous playback

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sat Aug 29 00:54:05 UTC 2015

On Friday, August 28, 2015 02:59:58 PM Mark Wedel wrote:

> > I have an nVidia card with DVI and HDMI. I use the DVI to my main monitor and sound from the onboard soundcard. So I could use the HDMI output to drive the kitchen display? I don't need much for sound right now, but with HDMI I could use a display that has sound built in to give it a little more presence there. An IR repeater - never thought of that, good idea. I thought I might just try a well-placed mirror. :)
> >

>   So the nvidia cards do support cloning - outputting the same image to multiple
> outputs.  So that is the simple way to do that without splitters.  However,
> cloned images run at same resolution/refresh - not an issue if both of your
> devices are 1080p for example.

Handy. I'd make sure I have something like my Samsung F2380.

>   However, audio gets a little trickier, because the audio that the hdmi devices
> uses and the audio that is from your onboard motherboard are different devices
> (if you look at you system, you'd probably see 2-3 different audio devices -
> onboard, hdmi, and possible DVI, even though the DVI spec does not officially
> support audio)

I have a bunch of audio outputs apparently, rear and front, and HDMI. Lots to choose from. I split the analog audio to the F2380 and my simple stereo receiver.

>   I don't think mythtv has any method to duplicate audio to multiple stream
> devices.  I think this can be done through some pulseaudio, but it isn't a
> simple 'click this button' and it is done.
>
> Presumably you are displaying over DVI because the monitor lacks HDMI input?

Ummmm no, I'm using DVI because I didn't have an HDMI cable in my cable stash. Gotta stock up on a few of those. I'm OK using DVI for the living room. That will leave HDMI free for the kitchen.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca