[mythtv-users] distributed simultaneous playback

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Aug 28 19:22:03 UTC 2015

On Friday, August 28, 2015 11:44:29 AM Mark Wedel wrote:
> On 08/28/15 09:31 AM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > What options would I have to display MythFrontend playback simultaneously on monitors in my living room and kitchen, about 40 feet apart? I can use wired gigabit and only do SD so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. I only need a screen in the kitchen, I can get enough sound from the living room and the remote has a clear line of sight.
> >
> > VNC? Long HDMI cable?
> >
> > Taking this a step further, to provide full sound and remote in the kitchen, is there any way to set up MythFrontend to do this?
> >

>   I do something like this at home - I'm only one person, so do not need
> discrete outputs.  I'm presuming you want the simulateously playback because you
> may wander from the kitchen to the living room and back, so if you fast forward
> one, you want the other fast forwarded, etc.

Right. Pretty much for sports. My kitchen layout precludes a view of the monitor in the living room.

I have an nVidia card with DVI and HDMI. I use the DVI to my main monitor and sound from the onboard soundcard. So I could use the HDMI output to drive the kitchen display? I don't need much for sound right now, but with HDMI I could use a display that has sound built in to give it a little more presence there. An IR repeater - never thought of that, good idea. I thought I might just try a well-placed mirror. :)

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca