[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Fri Aug 28 16:50:47 UTC 2015

> (which is for people using the supported driver for Windows--where HDCP can
> actually be supported), I'm pretty sure you'd still be using Component
> output, but with an HD-PVR2.  That said, you could probably record from your
> Xbox One or PS4 (with HDCP toggled off--though you'd have to toggle it back
> on to watch a Blu-Ray on the PS4).  Basically, if your device outputs with
> HDCP (and nearly(?) all STBs providing copyrighted video probably will), I
> don't think you'll be able to record via HDMI, even with an HD-PVR2.

The HDMI receiver built into the HDPVR2 is not HDCP capable.  Thus
users who want to record content coming out of a STB will need to use
the component input.  Note this is a hardware limitation, and thus
even if Hauppauge supported the Windows protected content path, the
device still wouldn't be able to record HDCP content even under
Windows.

On gaming consoles it is as the discretion of the game/app maker to
decide whether HDCP is enabled.  All games I know of have it disabled
(presumably since users publishing game recordings is good PR), while
any apps which play back movies and other content will enable HDCP on
the gaming console's output.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs