[mythtv-users] Nielsen wants to know...

Mike's JdJ stepsisters at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 01:14:15 UTC 2015

On 08/22/2015 03:48 PM, A. F. Cano wrote:

> In light of the recent letter writing thread and how little (if any)
> effect it might have, I'm prompted to ask...
>
> Nielsen called me recently about a radio survey.  I told them I don't

I believe that Neilsen randomly selects families to receive a
"meter".

They also send out surveys to verify meter measurements.  They
can send out more surveys than meters, as it is less expensive.

We have been a Neilsen survey family twice, each time when I was
not in broadcasting.

Be happy to be invited to participate.  Your responses influence
what broadcasters put on.  You're representative of your group
and your preference counts a lot.  I assume that since you are
in MythTV, you're above average.  :)

When I was in broadcast, it was a tense time when the Neilsen or
Arbitron "book" arrived.  Management scrutinized it, trying to
judge if their programming was effective, or how it could be
improved.  The goal was to gather the largest possible audience
of people that their customers (sponsors) would pay to advertise
to.

I saw the data and it was broken into time periods (I think it
was 15 minutes back then) and showed viewers/listeners by
gender, age group, ethnic group, economic class, and area.  I
think they are using more demographics now.  It also showed the
competitor's ratings so you could see how you did in your
market.  A high rating meant you could charge your customer more
for ad time.