[mythtv-users] Problems with Listing Descriptions

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Aug 26 15:30:35 UTC 2015

On 08/25/2015 08:50 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> On 8/25/2015 5:31 PM, Bret Clark wrote:
>> On 08/25/2015 01:35 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> You should go into mythtv-setup -> Channel Editor, and check that
>>> each channel has 'Use on-air guide' unchecked.
>>>
>>> Or get to the mysql console and use:
>>>
>>> select chanid, channum, useonairguide from channel where
>>> useonairguide = "1";
>>>
>>> to see what is (mis)set.
>>>
>>> The latter is a LOT faster when you have many many channels!
>>>

>>> Geoff
>>>

>> Thanks for the tip, all my channels had it as "1", so I changed them
>> to all "0", truncated the program table and re-ran
>> mythfilldatabase...so far it seems to be a lot better.  Hopefully that
>> was the problem...thank you for the suggestion!
>>
>> Bret

> I just ran that same mysql statement on my mythtv FE/BE.  It shows all
> of my channels with the value of "1" (useonairguide="1").  I seem to
> remember that this use to be the default value (0.21) (maybe it still
> is), since I have never changed it.  I am using Schedules Direct for
> listings and do NOT have any guide program description truncation
> problems.  I thought their was some global use EIT data option somewhere
> that I have disabled.  So I think, at least for me, the useonairguide
> setting is ignored.
>
> Jay

There is a setting in the 'Recording Options' page of each Capture Card
to set or unset 'Use DVB card for active EIT scan'.

It is easy to miss. I presumed that unchecking that item will set
useonairguide to "0" for all channels in the video source matched to
that card. But maybe not: it may well be a global setting wrt that card.

But maybe not! There is also a setting on each 'Video Source' page:
'Perform EIT scan'.....

I'm ....... not going to even *attempt* to think about the multiple
priorities involved in this decision tree. Someone who is feeling
particularly masochistic can dive into the code to find out which is
rock, paper and scissors among these choices if they are set at cross
purposes.

The default setting for channel.useonairguide is "0". I doubt that it
was "1" in v.0.21.
The default setting for capturecard.dvb_eitscan is "1" which may be a
source of confusion. The setting is not particularly noticeable. And it
*may* cause the channels in the video source matched to that card, to be
set to "1".  No idea.

I have never used or even tried to use an EIT scan so this is just an
informed guess. (That makes me an "expert", I believe).

Geoff