[mythtv-users] EIT data in New York City OTA broadcasts.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 02:04:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 1:11 AM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2015 8:34 PM, "A. F. Cano" <afc at shibaya.lonestar.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Before I complain to Nielsen about missing EIT data, can anyone confirm
>> that the situation is like I see it here, and not a problem with my
>> configuration or reception?
>
> Probably makes more sense to complain to the FCC than Nielson.  There are
> specific regs that require OTA channels to carry a minimum amount of PSIP
> data (I cannot recall the reg off the top of my head, but I think it's 12
> hours).

Yeah, 12 hours (well, since there are 4 3-hr "buckets" that are
required, that really means 9-12 hours in practice), although the
network affiliates tend to be more than that, but still not adequate
for certain advanced scheduling decisions (especially if you are
tuner constrained and would prefer to schedule at a later time).

At least a few of those channels are what I believe are accepted
exceptions under the rules involving government/community_access
channels (yes, for every rule there are exceptions, and exceptions to
the exceptions, and so on (formally, they are called waivers in FCC
lingo)).

Sometimes contacting individual stations can result in changes,
and sometimes not (depends on the details).  As I recall you will
need to file a separate complaint with the FCC for each station
(that is the way they will track the complaint and responses).

Good luck (but do not expect EIT miracles).