[mythtv-users] Nielsen wants to know...

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Aug 24 16:13:39 UTC 2015

On 24/08/15 16:56, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
>> I have participated is several Nielsen ratings surveys over the years.  The most recent survey had provisions for time shifting DVR usage, where you recorded the date and time that the program originally aired.  In my case, the shows I was watching had originally aired 8-12 months earlier, so I reckon any decisions made about those programs based on ratings had long since been made and my survey entries were likely of little value.
>
> Maybe about individual shows, but I suspect there'll be statistics about what different types of people do with timeshifting - and that will feed back into decisions. It may even feed back into "this sort of program tends to be watched <time period> later".
>
> It'll certainly be of interest to advertisers. People watching (say) a month later may be of no interest if it's a short term campaign, but may still be of interest if it's a long term and/or "brand awareness" campaign. This sort of thing will influence how much they are prepared to pay for air time.

It will mess with advertiser's heads, that's for sure.

Over the Christmas period (UK) there are often a large number of movies that I
will select for recording and we might not watch them until months or years
later, and possibly never.

One thing we do find slightly amusing is all the Christmas ads that are in the
recording. I don't bother with commercial processing, it doesn't work too well
in the UK and there isn't much point for a movie we'll watch once and then
delete. The skip button works just fine.

--

Mike Perkins