[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Mon Aug 24 14:28:54 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Keith Pyle <kpyle at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I'm fairly certain that Eric is correct.  I've seen nothing but flaky
> behavior from the HD-PVR (those interested can search the archives for some
> of my rants, er, reports of my tests) and have never been able to get it
> usable within MythTV.  Instead, I only capture from it using a user-space
> program that can do automatic recovery when it stops capturing.
>
> For grins, I connected a second HD-PVR in series (STB -> HD-PVR #0 ->
> HD-PVR #1) and did a capture on TNT, since this channel seems more prone
> than others to have problems.  Both HD-PVR's terminated their captures at
> exactly the same point.  In general, I see this happen at
> program/commercial transitions and suspect the STB is dropping some signal
> (audio?) that the HD-PVR interprets as "done."  So, the level of HD-PVR
> flakiness is very likely influenced by the STB.
>
> With regard to the original purpose of this thread, I too would be willing
> to pay for a reliable HD-PVR2 Linux driver.  The amount would be dependent
> on what was to be provided, of course, with consideration for my lower
> effort and the stress relief of not dealing with the HD-PVR1.  I'm not
> overly found of installing binary blobs but would probably make an
> exception in this case.  Of course, this assumes the continued availability
> of a STB that has component outputs from my good friends at TWC, that I'm
> not seduced by Google when/if they get to my "fiberhood" in the next year
> or so, etc.

Keith, do you have your STB forced to a specific output resolution? I had a
lot of success after I forced my STB to output 720p, regardless of source
resolution. I believe this is in the Wiki/setup info for the HD-PVR so I am
going to assume you have done it, but it doesn't hurt to double-check. Both
of my HD-PVR's stopped working so I just cancelled my cable.

Tom