[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime Tuner Record/Watch question

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 23:36:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:15 PM, Michael Wisniewski
<mikewiz38 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the information about this.  It's kind of weird that myth
> wouldn't play the already recorded stream, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not
> doing anything wrong.

Trying to join a recording in progress is (at this point) a bridge too
far (if one thinks about it, not only does one need to join the stream,
the logic has to mark that stream as live tv, so if the recording itself
ends, the stream needs to transition to a live stream, and if one
changes the channel, one has to start a new live stream, exiting
the existing recording. It is not that all those cases (and more)
could not be accomplished, but that it would require someone to
work out the entire state diagram for all transitions and scheduling
anomalies, etc. and write the codes).

And while the costs are not zero, the usual recommendation for
almost all uses of MythTV is try to over-provision the number of
tuners.  You will always use more than you think you will.  And
while the MSOs (in some cases) charge outrageous prices for a
CableCARD rental (I believe some MSOs charge close to $10/mo),
and the OCUR tuner is not zero cost either, it is just a part of the
overall expenses of running any DVR.