[mythtv-users] Watch Recordings scrolling and update

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Thu Aug 20 23:52:37 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
>
>>   2 - when "All Programs" is highlighted, new recordings do not appear at
>>>       the top of the programs column on the right. I have to go down and
>>>       back up for that list to refresh.
>>>

>> That one may be a MythUI issue. That bugs me, too. New recordings
>> actually are added to the list, but it's added above the top line, so you
>> have to move into the list and scroll up to see it.
>>
>> Not MythUI.  This is directly in the mythfrontend program:
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp#L1589
>
> In  PlaybackBox::UpdateUILists(), it tries to preserve the cursor state
> after asynchronous changes come in, such as a new recording, or another
> frontend deleted an existing recording.  It does this via calls to
> save_position() and restore_position().  It's nice that the cursor remains
> fairly stable when these changes happen.
>
> That said, if the focus is on the group list, and the episode list is
> already at the top, and a new episode comes in, it would seem to make sense
> to scroll the episode list to show the new item.
>
> Jim
>
> I could see how it would be frustrating to have your cursor move suddenly.
But it could be a bit more nuanced--as long as the cursor is still on the
screen, then shift the view down so that the new recording can be seen at
the top. If the cursor is on the last item in the list then the new items
could go on top, out of view, as they do now. I think that's how it used to
work in older versions (at least I know new recordings were immediately
visible at the top of the list; not sure what the cursor did).

Karl