[mythtv-users] clean install

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 22:13:20 UTC 2015

Greetings Mythizens, Last month I tried to set my son, a software engineer
for Amazon.com, up with MythTv. It didn't go so well. I tried first with
software center and it went into that grey "who knows what is going on
state" so we aborted and tried "apt-get" which seemed to work... we started
to configure the back end and ran into a problem with recognizing the
tuner, so I suggested a reboot, after which we could not get into anything.
So here we are, a total novice, me, trying to tell a programmer, my son,
how to proceed. It became more like work, that he had just spent the last
eight hours getting paid for, and I'm sure he would have rather spent time
with his beautiful wife.
We aborted and nothing has been done since, my thought is to wipe all
previous efforts and start again, and I think he may have done that between
the first two attempts (maybe not as through as necessary). Is there anyone
out there willing to explain to my son in full programmer language a
successful way to set himself up from this point? TIA  Daryl