[mythtv-users] MCE remote after 0.21 -> 0.27 upgrade

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Aug 14 03:53:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 00:44:35 -0600, you wrote:

>[0.27-4 on Fedora 22]
>
>Well that wasn't so bad... But I am stumped on my MCE USB remote. Only the arrow keys seem to work. OK doesn't do anything. The green menu button pops up an XFCE error dialog "Failed to launch shortcut 'XF86AudioMedia'".
>
>I tried following the MCE_Remote wiki - it seems that I don't need lircd anymore, but following the HID_Remotes page doesn't get me any further.
>
>XFCE seems to be getting in the way, but I can't figure out how.

The remote is now using the devinput kernel driver.  While it is
possible to just use that, I found it was not a good idea and prefer
to still use lirc with devinput.  Without lirc, you can not use the
remote with multiple different programs (eg mplayer for those video
files mythfrontend can not play properly), unless the program itself
can be configured to respond to the same keystrokes as MythTV.  And
you can not use irexec, or program the autorepeat for keys.

I have my Mythbuntu 14.04 working config for my MCE remote and
Hauppauge Nova-TD and HVR-900r1 remotes available for download here:

  http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythbuntu-devinuput-lirc.bz2

The README has some information about how to set it up and debug the
config.