[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 17:49:36 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> My biggest concern with this is that the content providers will eventually
> talk the FCC into closing the "analog hole", which would render all of the
> HDPVR devices useless for my purposes.

"It is hard to make predictions, especially about the future"

<conjecture>

It seems unlikely that the existing decisions will be reopened.
However, I think that the writing is on the wall.  A lot of the newer
STBs do not have component output (although just like firewire
ports, you can currently request one).  With 4K (over-hyped, but
people are apparently demanding it), there will be no 4K component
output capability, so I expect there will be new requests to drop it
from new designs/devices.  As you probably know, Blu-ray players
no longer can be sold with component output, and there are fewer
and fewer devices sold that take component input (only) that
require component output.  The old/obsolete/beat-up STBs
that continue to support component will exist, and be handed
out by request, but just like your HD-PVR, are likely to get flakier
and flakier with age (and do not expect the fancy new UIs).

But the bigger challenge is likely to be the (eventual) result
from the FCC DSTAC report and followup rulings that changes
many of the ways content is delivered and protected.  It will be
pure IP to the home STB/Gateway, and IP redistribution inside
the home.  Capable of full transmission protection, of course
(and not accessible by open source codes if set to protected).
Whether the MSOs IP to HDMI boxes will be required to have
component outputs is completely unknowable at this point.
And your particular MSOs schedules is also completely
unknowable at this point.  FWIW, the FCC intends to require
all the providers to play on the same level, that means satellite
(dish/directv), IPTV (AT&T U-verse, Google), and traditional
cable will all have to implement equivalent capabilities.  Which
could mean (if the MSO decides to set (most) things copy_freely)
that open source projects might be able to record from any
of them.  This is, of course, a long game for most, so other
than being aware of it, there is nothing (yet) to do, or worry
about here.

My WAG says your current analog hole will work for around
another half to full decade as long as you do not choose to
upgrade to the latest and greatest whiz-bang.  In that time,
TV as we currently know it could be obsolete.  Or be exactly
the same.  And it is likely your existing HD-PVR will die
sometime by that period.  [Consideration as to whether
Hauppauge will still exist as a company to sell you a new
HD-PVR2 is left as an exercise to the user.]

</conjecture>