[mythtv-users] Synology NAS as a backend?

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 17:01:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The last thread I saw about this looks to be from 2010, so I'm
> wondering if anyone has played with one of their newer NAS devices for
> use as a standalone backend?
>
> I know commercial flagging may be a tough call on one, but with so
> many recording devices these days being either ethernet or USB, and so
> many posting about successful running of a backend on some of the
> newer low powered machines, it would seem one of these might be up to
> the task as well?
>
> They're not super cheap, but they are reasonably priced without drives
> and very well constructed. They also run MySQL out of the box it
> seems, which is one less battle.
>
> thoughts?
>
> --

My .02 I have played and used quite a few and always found them to have
many limitations with what I was wanting to do, I started rolling my own
and have been using Open Media Vault (OMV), its from a developer that was
originally on Freenas and started his own project based on debian and linux
md raid.

There are other alternatives and recently a new one rocstor based soley on
btrfs that I am keeping an eye on since I think once Btrfs matures its
going to be pretty good, I actually think its pretty close as it is now.

I use OMV at home and businesses and it performs really well, if you know
linux its easy to match your build to what YOU need instead of what they
think you need.  As always YMMV, etc... :)