[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 15:41:58 UTC 2015

On 08/10/2015 10:15 AM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Fred Hamilton <fred at yonkitime.com> wrote:
>> I have an HD-PVR (and a spare HD-PVR) - not sure if I'd switch to an HD-PVR
>> 2 (I know it will do 1080p - are there any other advantages?) but would
>> happily contribute to the project to help HD-PVR2 owners (more stability /
>> faster channel changing on the HD-PVR would be nice, too).
> - More stable than the HDPVR in general.
> - Faster encoder startup (and thus faster channel change times)
> - Better thermal profile (i.e. less likely to overheat like the HDPVR
> has a history of)
> - Better encoder quality
> - Better handling of edge cases related to A/V sync (i.e. known
> problems with optical audio in HDPVR1)
> - Readily available hardware currently shipping (the HDPVR 1 stopped
> being built some time ago, and the units out there are slowly dying).
> I would be hesitant to buy an original HDPVR on Ebay if mine dies,
> given it's just as likely to die from the same underlying causes in a
> few months (caps drying out, other factors tied to PCB age).
>
> Devin

Devin,

I don't know if you're putting up an official vote here page or not, but
I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for a HDPVR2 MythTV license. I know
that when my current HDPVR dies, I'll have to Ebay a replacement and
there's no guaranty that it will last even a day. Would I prefer a FOSS
driver for it, of course. I know I don't have the skills or the time to
do it.

Ken