[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Aug 10 14:15:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Fred Hamilton <fred at yonkitime.com> wrote:
> I have an HD-PVR (and a spare HD-PVR) - not sure if I'd switch to an HD-PVR
> 2 (I know it will do 1080p - are there any other advantages?) but would
> happily contribute to the project to help HD-PVR2 owners (more stability /
> faster channel changing on the HD-PVR would be nice, too).

- More stable than the HDPVR in general.
- Faster encoder startup (and thus faster channel change times)
- Better thermal profile (i.e. less likely to overheat like the HDPVR
has a history of)
- Better encoder quality
- Better handling of edge cases related to A/V sync (i.e. known
problems with optical audio in HDPVR1)
- Readily available hardware currently shipping (the HDPVR 1 stopped
being built some time ago, and the units out there are slowly dying).
I would be hesitant to buy an original HDPVR on Ebay if mine dies,
given it's just as likely to die from the same underlying causes in a
few months (caps drying out, other factors tied to PCB age).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com