[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 20:45:45 UTC 2015

I have sent Hauppauge several emails over the last several months asking
for development information for the HD-PVR2.  I explain that I am a MythTV
developer and would like to add support for it.  In each case their
response has been just a terse "It is still in beta".  They don't seem to
have any interest in a MythTV developer adding support for the device.

Devin Heitmueller and I ended up talking about the HD-PVR2 recently, and he
mentioned that Kernel Labs has had working Linux support for the HD-PVR2
for a couple of years now.  Kernel Labs writes drivers and supports video
capture devices for the Broadcast/Audio/Video industries:

http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?page_id=2

They support all the different flavors of the HD-PVR2 (I was not previously
aware that there was more than one), and their driver supports all of its
various options and controls.  Devin says that their HD-PVR2 driver is very
robust, and it would have to be to keep their clients happy.  He says that
the HD-PVR2 is a significant improvement over the HD-PVR including much
better audio/video sync.

Long story short, Kernel Labs is willing to consider making their HD-PVR2
driver available for MythTV users.  It would not be free, but the price
would be a fraction of what they normally charge.  Devin would even be
willing to write the MythTV code to make it all work.

As a bonus, Devin says that he would do a complete code-audit of MythTV's
V4L2 'recorder', optimizing it and removing the cruft that has built up
over the years.  This should result in improved support for everything from
the old PVR-150 to the HVR-2250, as well as the HD-PVR.  It might even
result in faster channel changing with the HD-PVR.

For Devin to commit to this work, he would need to see enough interest to
make it worth while.  How many of you would like to see robust support for
the HD-PVR2 and improved support for other V4L2 devices?

John