[mythtv-users] nvidia color calibration

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sun Aug 9 09:21:00 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 09:30:29AM +1200, HP-mini wrote:

> Have you tried setting VDPAU playback to studio levels (reduced range
> colourspace)?  This should be the colourspace the BD player (any
> consumer video) is using.  Non-studio levels (full range) is for
> driving computer monitors.  There is a OSD menu option for this in
> mythtv & a setting in "nvidia-settings"

I vaguely remember playing with that when I first set stuff up, I've
got this commented out in my xorg config:

#       Option      "ColorSpace"    "YCbCr444"
#       Option      "ColorRange"    "Limited"

I don't recall why I ended up not using them.

Hmm, I never noticed the studio settings menu option. Enabling that
allows me to use the same brightness/contrast settings on both the
bluray and the mythbox and have optimal results on the calibration
tests :). Five stinking years I've been manually tweaking the
contrast/brightness every time I swapped between devices and all that
time there was a fix right in front of me 8-/. Thanks! It didn't really
do anything for the slightly off colors, I'll have to try
playing with the colorspace setting again and see, I don't remember that
making a difference way back when but maybe I missed that too.

How is this related to https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7307? Does
the OSD option deprecate the studio custom filter? How about the
colorspace custom filter? I also occasionally use the mythbox for games
or other things that are PC-like, it would be nice to have just mythtv
do what's best for video and leave the X default for everything else.

Thanks again for the pointers :).