[mythtv-users] nvidia color calibration

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sat Aug 8 02:06:45 UTC 2015

I've got a Sharp aquos tv and an onkyo receiver. The receiver is hooked up
to the tv, and then I've got a mythtv box and a bluray player hooked up
to the receiver. Unfortunately this means I can't calibrate the mythtv
and bluray players separately :(. I at one time calibrated the TV for
the bluray player, which left mythtv a bit off, you don't really notice
it with general stuff, but for shows like the simpsons you can see the
color is off.

So I finally got around to trying to use nvidia settings to tweak the
colors on the mythtv box to look a little better, but it doesn't seem to
work. When I fiddle with stuff at the mythtv menu screen, I can see the
changes, but as soon as I play anything, it reverts to the way it
usually looks, then switches back to the custom colors when going back
to the menu.  It seems the calibration only applies to the GUI, not the
video? I'm using VDPAU, if that makes a difference.

Is there any way to apply color corrections to the video output?

I considered at one time hooking the mythtv box up directly to the TV
with one output, and then to the receiver with another, allowing both
bitstreaming audio to the receiver and a dedicated input on the tv to
calibrate. But then the stupid tv turned out to only have one custom
mode that was global across all inputs, not unique to each, so even that
wasn't going to work :(.

Hopefully by the time I get my next tv and receiver, the tv will be able
to tell that there are different devices behind the one input and let
each one be calibrated appropriately <sigh>.

Thanks...