[mythtv-users] Confused 5.1 Sound Mapping?

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Fri Aug 7 21:44:47 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-08-04 at 19:29 -0400, Jim wrote:

> On 08/04/2015 07:00 AM, Tim Draper wrote:
> >
> > ---- On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 02:31:32 +0100 Jim  wrote ----

> >> I may have found a solution to the wrongly mapped 5.1 surround sound
> >> problem. There is a module, called module-remap-sink, available in the
> >> pulse audio module suite that supports remapping of all the speakers.
> >> I've not tested with all possible configurations but at least one
> >> configuration is working properly and now the sound is coming from the
> >> correct speakers. There may be more to address, but at least the wife is
> >> happy for now!
> >>

> > Thats good to know of that tool. Maybe one to try in the future when i next encounter an issue. Reinstalled an FE isnt much of an issue for me; i have it on USB stick, so that plus a 20minute dist-upgrade is quicker than spending hours finding a solution.
> >

> I should have asked for clarification early regarding your mention of
> re-install. Glad to hear it is only the Mythtv FE and not the whole system!

A workaround for channel mapping bug with your h/w would be to use
bitstream/digital-pass-thru' for AC3 (& DTS etc) so you HT-amp/AVR does
the decoding. This is possible over SPDIF/HDMI/DVI/DP.
In mythtv audio setup you can tick which audio formats your HT amp
supports.

Only downside is no (easy) volume control in mythtv & no sharing (dmix)
audio output with other running programs.