[mythtv-users] link-local and mythtv

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Aug 6 16:41:18 UTC 2015

On 06/08/15 12:20, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 06/08/15 11:02, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:

>>> I am not sure that using NAT (not masquerading) rules would work, as
>>> the lo interface normally runs with a big MTU (mine is showing 65536).
>>> Any packets larger than the MTU of the ethernet interface (likely
>>> 1500) would get dropped, which would probably cause some quite hard to
>>> track down type problems.
>>>
>>> But I have just looked at the ifconfig output for my MythTV box
>>> (Mythbuntu 14.04), which has static addresses on two ethernet ports
>>> that are currently unused, with no cable plugged in, and the static
>>> addresses are visible.  I could have sworn that even static addresses
>>> disappeared when an interface was down, but maybe something has
>>> changed since I last looked.  Anyway, if you can assign a static IP
>>> address to the TV through its settings somewhere, then you can use a
>>> static IP address on your ethernet interface and have MythTV listen on
>>> that.  If your TV does not have a setting for a static IP address,
>>> then you may have to run a DHCP server on the laptop and have it
>>> assign the TV an appropriate address when it is on.  If the TV only
>>> does link-local addresses, then you are probably out of luck, but that
>>> is unlikely.
>>
>> The linux tcp stack has the property that it'll (by default) accept
>> packets for an ip address assigned to *any* of it's interfaces.
>>
>> So you can, in theory, assign the permanent address of the backend to
>> an alias of the loopback address, and then have the backend bind to
>> that. Then even if your external interface has a different ip address
>> things will still be able to talk to the "permanent" address.
>>
>> Gotta love networking ;-)
>>
>> By the sounds of it, it's worth running a dhcp client (probably dnsmasq)
>> on the linux box, so the tv gets a proper ip address.
>
> Hmm.  Yes, thanks.  Looks like the next month reading 'man dnsmasq.' :-)
> I'll ask google and see what happens.
>

>> Cheers
>> Stuart

It seems that NetworkManager uses dnsmasq but not the daemon, which
wasn't installed.  Now it is, and it looks as if my
BTWifi(doesn'tsupportlinux) is staying connected over quiet spells
instead of needing new logins, but myth still needs the TV 'on' to get
started.  A little googling, and reckless curiosity, led me to try

$ service dnsmasq reload
Usage: /etc/init.d/dnsmasq
{start|stop|restart|force-reload|dump-stats|status}
$ /etc/init.d/dnsmasq status
  * Checking DNS forwarder and DHCP server dnsmasq

                                 * (dead, pid file exists)
$ /etc/init.d/dnsmasq start
  * Starting DNS forwarder and DHCP server dnsmasq

dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for 10.8.122.154: Permission
denied
$
where the address quoted is, IIUC, the one giving wifi internet access
via 'spare' capacity on an unknown neighbour's router - and I don't want
to poke around and lose that.  Perhaps it should be masked off here.  So
I'm posting this to see if anyone recognises what's going on - just in case.

John