[mythtv-users] splitting analog coax

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 18:22:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Josh Norell <josh at kci.net> wrote:

> On 8/5/2015 12:03 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

>>> Use a single splitter. There will  be less signal loss with just one.
>>>
>>> Also, Depending on how many splitters you have besides that location you
>>> may need to install a signal booster of some type if you have picture
>>> quality issues.
>>>
>>> If those would be the only splitters in the whole house then I wouldnt
>>> worry about it too much.
>>>
>> Thanks. I'll only have the 3 outputs, all within 2 meters of the wall
>> jack.
>>
>> I will be feeding 2 PVR-500s, each with its own internal splitter. Might
>> it
>> be worthwhile to amplify the -7dB inputs that the 500s will have from a
>> 1:3
>> splitter?
>>
>> It just depends how strong your signal is coming into your house. Usually
> splitting it 3 ways isn't a problem.

I'll thow my .02 in there, I;ve done lots of Coax over the years and one of
the biggest things you can do is to make sure your coax connectors are
properly installed, makes a big difference.  Wasn't clear if you were
making your own connections or using pre made cables, I only use snap and
seal connections these days.