[mythtv-users] Intel Compute Stick as a frontend?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 15:31:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Jim <jim_32766 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Any estimate regarding when deinterlacing with the VAAPI interface might be
> implemented?

When someone with the skills has spare resources and they
want it.

It is certainly of interest to many, but so far no one has found
sufficient spare resources to make it happen.  And it has not
been at the top of the queue of things to work on for those
people who have found some time.

If you are about to dive in, you might want to post a note
on the dev list (or on irc) so someone else does not start
down the path at the same time (sometimes resources
happen, and sometimes they happen all at once).

There has been some on again/off again suggestions that
the video processing in MythTV might be reworked to
support both the newer VAAPI for better deinterlacing,
and (independently) something like OMX so that ARM
based GPU/VPUs would also work, and I seem to recall
someone posting about some work they had started on
OMX support, but I do not know the status of that work
(and I have not seen any recent update, which I presume
is due to changing resource availability).

So, any estimate of implementation would require knowing
spare resource availability.  Which never seems to be
knowable far in advance.  Leading to my conclusion that
any estimate would not be worth the electrons they were
transmitted with.