[mythtv-users] export/import of selected MythTV data

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Aug 2 18:34:01 UTC 2015

I am preparing to upgrade my MythTV 0.21 FE/BE to new hardware and
software, put off by the need to overcome the 0.24-ish upgrading cutoff
for older versions.

I did look into making a Ubuntu VM and upgrading my database to to the
intermediate version in order to upgrade it to the latest version but I
really do not have much in the way of content to carry over - I can convert
what I have on the old box (down to under 50 recordings now) to videos or
make a note to re-record them. I don't have anything invested in the other
media areas like MythMusic so it seems like building a fresh FE/BE is the
best route for me.

However, my largest "investments" that I'd like to maintain are

  1 - recording rules

  2 - what episodes I've seen already of repeating shows that are still
      running.

How could I best capture these two data sets and get them into a fresh
install of the latest MythTV when I make the switch?

I could probably scrape my recording rules into some format that's easy to
re-enter by hand on the new box.

But the previously-recorded episodes data - how could I capture and
transfer that? I don't want to have to pick "Never Record" for each of the
South Park episodes I've seen already that the new install won't know
about, for example.

I'm comfortably-proficient in writing a script to do it, and I can use the
new box to test against. But with the greater knowledge of such things out
there, is it feasible? I looked at my 0.21 schema with phpMyAdmin and see
my "oldrecorded" table has a few *id fields that might need to be mapped
into new ids: chanid, seriesid, programid, findid, and recordid. A lot of
those can be culled because I don't have the recording rules (or channels)
that created them. And I can dry-run it all on the new box before making it
official.

How feasible is this?

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca