[mythtv-users] VHF, UHF, and digital TV

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 30 22:28:13 UTC 2015

On 30/04/15 06:16 PM, dennis wrote:

>> This becomes a question at this point because, during a recent channel
>> scan, I noted that there are some new OTA stations which are
>> repetitions of some existing stations. I've been picking up a 10_1,
>> 10_2, 10_3, and 10_4 (PBS), but now I see there is a 10_11, 10_12,
>> 10_13, and 10_14 that seem to be the same exact stations. I believe
>> the 10_1-10_4 stations I've been getting are in the VHF range and I
>> suspect that the new 10_11-10_14 stations I see may be the new,
>> UHF-band replacements, and that the two sets of stations may exist for
>> a time side-by-side, til they phase out VHF-band broadcasting. Then,
>> all programming for that station will be provided only through the
>> new, 10_11-10_14 channels. So, do my assumptions about this matter
>> seem sound?
I missed the beginning of this thread. but Denis, you should be aware
that the numbers you may
see are not necessarily the channel on which the broadcast is made.

You really need to connect your TV directly to the antenna and run
through the channels. Some TV's will report the "number" that the
station broadcasts as the "channel". Some will tell you the "number" but
also let you know that the channel is something else. And some older
TV's will just give you the channel.

So where I am, "Channel 11 News" is actually on 18.1, while TVO-2 is on
19.1 All the PBS channels call themselves 17.x but are broadcast on
43... etc.

Worse yet, the 10_11 through 10_14 may be audio only streams, on the
same actual frequency as the 10_1 etc. Or they could be standard
definition versions..although that would probably overload the bandwidth..

Confused yet?  If you want, I can confuse you some more tomorrow!

Geoff