[mythtv-users] VHF, UHF, and digital TV

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 22:23:31 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 2:27 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
> As I understand it, the ultimate intention is to get all OTA TV broadcasting
> into the UHF range so as, I suppose, to free up the whole of the VHF band
> for other radio frequency services. Is that correct?

If that's true it would be a pretty tall order.  I'm in central NJ and
use primarily New York stations, but can also get Phillidelphia
stations as well using my antenna rotor.  Not only are a lot of the
networks in both markets using VHF, during the digital switch over,
many of them expressly moved their existing UHF digital frequency to
their old VHF frequency.  Even Philly ABC moved to their old VHF 6 in
spite of clear objections that 6 isn't even an appropriate frequency
for digital apparently.

Tom