[mythtv-users] Trouble building lirc from source to support IguanaWorks iguanaIR USB IR xcvr

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 20:57:14 UTC 2015

On 30/04/15 22:34, Craig Huff wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com
> <mailto:leamas.alec at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Slightly OT, but still: that Ubuntu still is  packaging lirc 0.9,0
>     makes this more complicated than necessary. Current lirc 0.9.2 has a
>     plugin architecture for user-space drivers like IguanaIR - if the
>     driver is missing one just needs to compile a new plugin. To compile
>     a new plugin is certainly (much) less complex than to build the
>     complete lirc.
>
>     Cheers!
>
>     --alec
>
> Alec,
>
> Can you tell me more?  I'm following the instructions provided by the
> IguanaWorks support website for their iguanaIR USB four-way transmitter
> which I have controlling four separate DTAs.  My understanding was that
> the kernel mode lirc was fine for receiving control signals from an IR
> remote, but to control the DTAs I'd have to stick with user-space lirc
> and since it didn't have iguanaIR support built in I'd have to compile
> it in.  How would I move to lirc 0.9.2 and what further work would I
> need to do to implement iguanaIR support with 0.9.2?

Well, the basic story is simple: you need to grab the sources at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lirc/ and rebuild from those, since
they are not packaged.  Building the complete, unpackaged 0.9.2 is
probably more work than re-building the 0.9.0 so it really depends on
your objectives. If you just want lirc support it's might  be easier to
stick to 0.9.0.

The situation would be quite different if/when the debian lirc
maintainers updates their lirc version. However, this is their decision,
I cannot do more about this than to file a bug.

The IguanaWorks website needs an update. I'll talk to them about this.

Cheers!

--alec