[mythtv-users] VHF, UHF, and digital TV

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Apr 30 18:27:19 UTC 2015

Sort of a general query here, answers to which may aid me in the future if
I will purchase a new antenna. Here is my (admittedly
technically-deficient) understanding of OTA DTV as it relates to
traditional VHF/UHF TV broadcasting in the US. The idea of moving to DTV
is to increase bandwidth availability for other radio frequency devices
like cellular communications and perhaps wifi. So causing TV broadcasting
to switch to digital, which makes transmission of the signal much more
precise and thus has the virtue of freeing up some bandwidth, was
undertaken.

As I understand it, the ultimate intention is to get all OTA TV
broadcasting into the UHF range so as, I suppose, to free up the whole of
the VHF band for other radio frequency services. Is that correct? If so, I
was told some time ago that, during initial phases of DTV implementation,
DTV broadcasting will still be done in the VHF range. Is this also
correct? I believe I determined a year ago or so that, in fact, some OTA
DTV broadcasting in my area (upper midwest, US) is still done in the VHF
range.

This becomes a question at this point because, during a recent channel
scan, I noted that there are some new OTA stations which are repetitions
of some existing stations. I've been picking up a 10_1, 10_2, 10_3, and
10_4 (PBS), but now I see there is a 10_11, 10_12, 10_13, and 10_14 that
seem to be the same exact stations. I believe the 10_1-10_4 stations I've
been getting are in the VHF range and I suspect that the new 10_11-10_14
stations I see may be the new, UHF-band replacements, and that the two
sets of stations may exist for a time side-by-side, til they phase out
VHF-band broadcasting. Then, all programming for that station will be
provided only through the new, 10_11-10_14 channels. So, do my assumptions
about this matter seem sound?

If it is the case that eventually all OTA TV broadcasting will move to the
UHF band, that will influence future decisions about what sort of antenna
I'll need to buy to bring in OTA DTV broadcasting I watch. Any
corrections, clarifications, or modifications on the above
topics/statements will be appreciated. Thanks