[mythtv-users] duplicate dvb tuner shows up

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Apr 30 15:16:16 UTC 2015

On 30/04/15 14:54, James Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2015, David Whyte wrote:
>
>> Could it be that you have configured that tuner so that it can be used
>> for
>> two separate recordings? I think that is the default in the settings for
>> DVB-T.
>
> Yeah, I guess this is what I was asking--sorry I did not make it
> clearer. I noted that option at some point when checking something about
> this card in mythtv-setup and that the option was enabled: being
> uncertain whether, in my case the broadcast source allows a single tuner
> to tune two separate channels simultaneously, I just left it as-is. So I
> was asking whether, because this default option was left in place, that
> is the explanation for why this tuner shows up twice in Myth frontend? I
> guess I could go back into mythtv-setup and uncheck that option to see
> whether the duplicate tuner would disappear. I may try that later but
> will probably wait to see whether others weigh in on this query.

There may well be some transatlantic confusion here.  I have 1 PCI card
with one physical tuner, and 1 USB dongle that includes two physical
tuners. At a given time a physical tuner can receive signals on a single
frequency/transport/multiplex/mux.  I have all mine set to be able to
receive 5 'channels' in each 'multiplex';  the mythtv default is two.
So I have 15 virtual tuners and could in principle record 15 programmes
at the same time.  'Upcoming recordings' shows the virtual tuner that
will be used for each programme.  That's all 'myth-legal'.

As before, HTH,

John