[mythtv-users] duplicate dvb tuner shows up

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 30 15:10:19 UTC 2015

On 04/30/2015 11:01 AM, James Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2015, James Miller wrote:
>
>> shows up twice in Myth frontend? I guess I could go back into
>> mythtv-setup and uncheck that option to see whether the duplicate
>> tuner would disappear. I may try that later but will probably wait to
>> see whether others weigh in on this query.
>
> I decided another, easier test I could conduct to better understand
> this issue would be to schedule two simultaneous recordings through
> that capture device. I've just now done that and, sure enough, the
> system is now recording two separate broadcasts simultaneously.
> Checking system status, I see that both tuners 14 and 16 (both of
> which are tied to the symlink I created for this USB tuner) are
> recording. So the capability of tuning two separate channels
> simultaneously using this tuner does, in fact, seem to be the
> explanation for why it shows up twice in the frontend. I learned
> something new and interesting already today!

Remember it's actually tuning only one channel in a given multiplex, but
is able to record multiple (with your configuration of 2 virtual tuners,
2) subchannels from that mux.  So you can't record from two channels
broadcast on different frequencies at the same time with the one
physical tuner.

Mike