[mythtv-users] Hard drive failure -- recovery method suggestions

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Tue Apr 28 18:36:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 12:10 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I believe testdisk can be used to recover the MBR and partition tables, if
> you wanted to try. Wouldn't take a lot of time to try and would be
> interesting to know.

I used testdisk once before to fix a problem I had on a Windows machine.
It looks like it's not going to help me here, as it sees the drive as
having 4.1 GB again, and the search for the partition table runs and runs.
I did try it yesterday with the same result.

I will put the failing drive on my desk for now.  I haven't run
find_orphans.py because of the very slight chance I might resurrect some
recordings.  I might do that soon.  The new drive is chugging away.
Usually, I can at least mount the bad partitions and snatch what I can as
fast as I can, but this time I didn't get that chance.

I'm glad I got the extended warranty from Newegg.  It was about 30 dollars
for 3 years after the manufacturer warranty ends.  It will pay for itself.
I don't normally get them but I do purchase them for hard drives.