[mythtv-users] Can't get HD TV channels working

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Apr 28 11:45:04 UTC 2015

On 28/04/15 12:11, David Watkins wrote:

> Hi Damian,
> I'm not saying this is your problem, but I ended up in the same
> situation and it turned out to be a signal strength issue from my antenna.
> I'm about 8 miles from Crystal Palace transmitter with a roof antenna,
> so I get pretty good reception. However, I initally fround that my
> PCTV292e would only tune the SD channels. I had a four-way passive
> antenna splitter at the time. With an active splitter the PCTB292e was
> able to tune both SD and HD but my other tuner (Hauppage NovaT USB)
> would not tune the SD channels at all, but which I inferred that the
> antenna signal was now too strong for it?
> I'm currently running with an active splitter and an attenuator in the
> line to the Nova T.
> It might be worth experimenting with your aerial connection arrangements
> to see if you can strengthen or weaken the signal and whether that makes
> a difference.

I'm glad to see this.  I was beginning to wonder if /anyone/ had a 292e
working with HD in Myth without a patch.

...and I think it might be worth checking that you really /are/ using
the device that you intend to use.  At present a reboot still puts my
tuners in quasi-random order and I have to unplug/replug my usb device,
perhaps several times, to make sure it's properly initialised.  dmesg |
grep adapter can be useful.

...and testing with vlc might still be useful too, although clearly it
won't help in sorting out anything that's Myth-specific.

Good luck.

John