[mythtv-users] Subtitle settings?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 01:37:35 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Stefan D <raptorjr08 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I continue my quest to recover after my upgrade of Mythbuntu, when also
> MythTV got upgraded and a lot of my settings was destroyed.
>
> This time it is the subtitles I have problem with. The last time I changed
> anything there I remember using a setting somewhere within the frontend, i
> think it was font and size.
>
> I then made the subtitle background semitransparent changing/adding a
> value in osd_subtitle.xml.
>

> Now i can't seem to find any subtitle setting in the frontend Setup
> section? Has it been removed?

Correct.  The only thing left in the frontend settings page is whether
subtitles are enabled by default, and the codec for text subtitles.  All
the font/color/background/size/etc. attributes are now controlled in
osd_subtitle.xml.  You can override the font size in real time during
playback, via the "Adjust Subtitle Zoom" playback menu item - this works
similar to adjusting timestretch or audio sync.

> And no matter what I change in osd_subtitle.xml I see any changes in the
> subtitle displayed in LiveTV. And i have checked that i only have one
> instance of that file, so it shouldn't be overridden by another file.

Run mythfrontend with "-v gui" and look for "osd_subtitle" log output, and
you should see exactly which file is being loaded.  There is a fallback
version in the default/ theme directory, but your theme may provide one as
well.

Keep in mind that each kind of subtitles has its own settings - text (e.g.
from .srt files), cc608, and each cc708 variant.

> Everything that worked before my, all but successful, upgrade.
>
> Now, the font is to big, the background is all black, and the swedish
> characters åäö is not displayed.
>

> So, what is the correct way to modify these settings?
>
> You can change the base font size in osd_subtitle.xml as well as the
real-time adjustment during playback.

If you want to adjust the black background, change the alpha value, or
change the alpha to 0 and add a shadow like described in
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/527611?do=post_view_flat#527611
.

As for the Swedish characters, maybe you need to adjust the codec as
described above?

Jim