[mythtv-users] alt lightweight web servers for MythTV?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Fri Apr 24 02:58:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015, George Nassas wrote:

> Yup, I’m out of ideas. It’s frustrating because all the individual
> pieces work fine in isolation but for some reason not together. Someone
> who does php regularly might be able to zero in quickly but I stuck.

Looking over the MythTV wiki article on serving MythWeb via nginx, I ran
across another possible angle on what might be the nature of the issue I'm
confronting. I don't have sufficient technical knowledge to determine
whether I might have stumbled onto the cause of my issue, but I thought
someone else on this list should.

On rereading the wiki article this time I noted it says "you have to
install a php backend server as well as a perl backend server to handle
the dynamic generation of content." I don't understand very well what
either of those "backend servers" are or do. But it caught my attention on
this rereading because it had been pointed out to me in connection with a
different issue I was trying previously to resolve in the Gentoo forums,
that I'd compiled MythTV without perl support. I thought that would not
present any problem for me because the description of perl support Gentoo
gives in connection with MythTV is "Builds the perl bindings for MythTV.
Allows you to write scripts in Perl to control your MythTV setup or
communicate with it." Well, I have no idea how to write any perl scripts
and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future, so I decided to
just leave things the way they were. But now it occurs to me, since I've
noted in the MythTV wiki article describing how to serve MythWeb via nginx
that I need a "perl backend server" to make this work, that perhaps the
fact that I did not compile MythTV with perl support is the reason I
cannot get this to work on my installation.

Anyone have thoughts (hint, hint, George) on whether this might be the
nature of my issue? It will be easy enough to recompile MythTV with perl
support, if so. Should I give that a try and see whether I will finally
have success at serving MythWeb via nginx? Sorry to belabor this issue:
hopefully the thread may provide helpful information to someone, even if I
end up not resolving my issue. Thanks.