[mythtv-users] Can't get HD TV channels working

Damian Surr damian at surr.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 08:36:46 UTC 2015

On 21/04/2015 10:34, Damian wrote:
> On 21/04/2015 09:52, John Pilkington wrote:

>> Do you really mean *but* ?  If mythtvsetup doesn't know about it, it
>> can't use it.  See below...
>
> Wow, that was a confusing typo! I should have said ..
>
> "The USB tuner is *NOW* showing up in the backend setup, but I can't
> get it to find any channels."
>
> It's now showing up fine in the backend setup, I just can't get it to
> find any channels.

>>> PS I just checked the cables. I put the lean that's connecting to the
>>> new USB stick into one of the old SD sticks (and removed the other
>>> aerial cables all together). The lead seems to be fine as the existing
>>> transports were scanned again without any problems.
>>
>> Hi:  We seem to have been hereabouts several times before, and I have
>> no directly comparable setup, but...
>>
>> I suggest that you find out the frequency of the HD mux/es from your
>> transmitter, from eg www.ukfree.tv/transmitters,
>>
>> In mythtvsetup, go to the Channel editor > Edit transports page.
>>
>> Create a new transport/s,  DVB (I don't know if you'll see a DVB-T2
>> option) with the freq in Hz, 8 Mb BW, QAM-256
>>
>> Scan those transports, making sure you're using the right tuner/adapter.

I just did that. Unfortunately, it found nothing.

>> It seems that the 292e may need to be switched explicitly between its
>> two modes, see
>>
>> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12342
>>
>> (which hasn't yet reached mainstream code, IIUC)
>>
>> And see, re firmware,
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/584487#584487
>>
>> That thread wanders around into different hardware but seems to end ok.

OK, I'll admit it. I'm scared.

I'm not a programmer. I looked at those pages and don't even have a clue
what I'd do with that information, let alone have any faith that I
wouldn't break my entire system.

I guess I need to wait until these changes/fixes make it into MythBuntu.
Does anyone have any idea how long that might be?

Thanks,
Damian