[mythtv-users] MariaDB with MythTV using Slackware 14.1...

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Apr 22 19:30:23 UTC 2015

On 22/04/15 06:28 AM, Simon Paterson wrote:
> On 22/04/15 19:52, Raymond Boettcher wrote:
>> Being that I've been using Slackware Linux for quite some time.  I
>> wanted to get any input on the new Database Server MariaDB that comes
>> with the new version of Slackware.  It seems to integrate MySQL
>> Support natively into the Database engine and so far I haven't had any
>> problem compiling MythTV using MariaDB Libraries.  As I'm sure with
>> anything, I'm pretty sure its on the "Not Recommended" list of things
>> to use since testing hasn't been done with MariaDB.  But seeing that
>> it's out there and comes with Slackware, I just wanted to ask if
>> anyone has had any experience using MariaDB with MythTV instead of
>> MySQL?  Any known issues, or patches that I may need to apply to fix
>> any small problems I may have using MythTV with this database system?
>> If not, I don't see any reason why I need to switch it back to MySQL...
>>

> I've had no issues issues running MythTV with MariaDB on Slackware 14.1.
> Not quite sure when I upgraded from 14.0, but it is over a year ago.

Mariadb has been the 'drop-in' replacement for mysql in Fedora 20, and
was iirc an elective substitute in Fedora 19. I do not remember seeing
anything about patching wrt that changeover.

And going from mysql on Fedora 18 to mariadb on Fedora 20 only involved
some head-scratching as I was also changing from sysinit to systemd.
Mythtv didn't notice.

Which of course, is the "consummation devoutly to be desired".

Geoff