[mythtv-users] what is this video artifact?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Sat Apr 18 18:36:21 UTC 2015

I note a video artifact under certain conditions when watching any HD
recording. The artifact is either absent or too difficult to notice when
viewing SD recordings. Further, the artifact is only noticeable in HD
recordings in certain instances: I note it when, for example, the camera
is panning up or down or side-to-side, or when the frame includes a lot of
movement toward the top of the screen. The artifact can be described as a
series of horizontal lines that seem to get out of sequence about one
quarter of the distance from the top of the screen. Once the panning or
movement stops, the horizontal lines are gone and the display returns to
normal--the artifact only showing up again once this panning or movement
begins again. All in all the artifact shows up only very briefly and
sporadically.

So, what is the artifact? I'm not much of a video connoisseur, so it just
constitutes a minor annoyance for me: I can live with it. But if there is
some simple way of fixing it, I might give that a try.

PS I had to compile MythTV without vaapi support since, on this machine,
compilation errors out if I don't disable it. Perhaps the fact that I
don't have vaapi support compiled in is resulting in my installation have
less-than-optimal video output?