[mythtv-users] Hard drive failure -- recovery method suggestions

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Fri Apr 17 09:31:25 UTC 2015

I am currently out of town, so I don't know too many details.  My 3 TB
Seagate drive had a few bad sectors on one day, and then about 12 hours
later, the drive was mounted as read-only.  It is my only media hard drive.

The first thing I did was to reboot the machine, which I know was a
mistake, but I had not had much sleep.  The machine seems to be stuck in
the boot process, probably at a system maintenance prompt, as I can no
longer access it remotely.

My question is, what tools are recommended for recovery?  I have a feeling
that a lot of the files are trashed due to the speed of the failure of the
drive.  Would testdisk be an option?  I would prefer something automated if
possible.  Or I could try a more aggressive option.

The data is not critical to me.  I figured it would fail at some point, but
I was hoping to be home when it did.  If I lose 100% of it, I suppose I can
pick it up in reruns.  That is the "bright side".

I will have to wait about a week before I can begin testing, so
unfortunately I have no other data to go on.

Suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Jerry